The Wise Eye Reading Programme has been developed by an optometrist to teach students to read, to assist poor readers to become good readers and good readers to become exceptional readers. Progress and results are measurable, visible and monitored electronically. A strong foundation of reading is established and it becomes easier, faster and more effective to read, hence impacting the whole learning experience. This therapy is available in English and Afrikaans and is suitable for children from 3 years of age to adults of 80 years of age.
Case studies revealed the following benefits:
- Instant word recognition
- Increased vocabulary
- Improved spelling
- Visual and short-term memory improved
- Comprehension improved
- Length of eye-span increased (the amount of words or parts thereof perceived during a fixation or “eye-stop” during reading)
- The ability to move both eyes in a coordinated manner, with ease and comfort is increased
- The ability to track visually with competence is improved
- Effective left-to-right eye-movements improves (reduced reverse eye-movements)
- Quick and accurate decoding abilities of unknown words (word access)
- Figure-ground discrimination is improved
- Visual discrimination is improved
- It is fun, challenging and affordable
- Wise Eye has a beginning and an end. The programme can be completed in about 6 months.
Why is Wise Eye unique?
- The quality of information received during reading is transmitted in a much purer form to the short-term memory
- The short-term memory requires less energy to derive meaning from the information it receives and as a result will transmit a purer and more accurate message to the long-term memory
- Quick results and visible progress is made in front of the child
- A strong foundation is established.
- Reading becomes easier, faster and better. There is a clear transition from a resistance to reading to an enjoyment of reading